Wednesday 20 April 2011

Week 1

Wow, nearly been here a week already! Have had a productive few days viewing properties and trying to organise some work. We viewed a nice house in Qurum the day before yesterday but unfortunately it was snapped up by somebody else not long after. You pretty much have to put the deposit down instantly to secure property out here. We did however view another nice house this morning, also in Qurum, which Oli's parents may try and get. It has 3 bedrooms and is larger than the apartment we are staying in at the moment. Plus the neighbourhood has a gym and is close to a shopping mall. Viewing places has really helped me to understand the different parts of Muscat, but also the differences in property prices. For instance we saw some teeny tiny houses in a place called Medinat Sultan Qaboos ("MQ"), a location popular with expats, valued at the same price as the large house we viewed today. Although MQ is popular, for me its far to compact with everyone on top of each other and no privacy. The main benefit of MQ is that shops and cafes are all in walking distance whereas in many other parts of the city you can't get anywhere easily without driving. I have taken a couple of photographs of the apartment block we are currently living in. Sorry for the poor quality but I would have had to stand on the road to fit the whole building in...



Today I had a meeting with the CEO of Oman National Transport Company (ONTC). The company is in a bit of a mess and the CEO joined the company less than a year ago to try and help them sort it out. Public transport in Oman is pretty awful; Muscat has a total of 7 buses. At present ONTC are planning a new bus network with the hope of improving public transport and creating local jobs. The meeting I had today was to see if there was any chance of me helping out with the project. As the government do not consider the ONTC to be loosing enough money to help fund it (which is a joke) I would not be able to work there paid, however I have agreed to undertake some work experience until I find paid work assisting with forming an evidence base to back up the CEO's public transport proposals. I do however get expenses paid for and the use of a car. A real problem in Oman at the moment is a lack of key skills but a determination to have as many Omani's as possible employed in the workforce ("Omanisation"). This creates problems for employers who feel obliged to employ Omani's despite the fact they may not be competent at the job. Anyway, I am due to start at the ONTC on 1st May, and despite the lack of pay I am sure it will be an experience and is something extra for the CV. I have also been "added to the pool of invigilators and examination paper markers" at the British Council. This is paid and so I am hoping some work will come up soon. In terms of other more permanent work, I am going to continue being patient and hope that something exciting comes along soon.

The weather here has been beautiful, sunny and hot. I am not entirely sure how I am going to find the heat in the summer months when temperatures can reach 50 degress C. I saw the weather back home this morning and can't believe that as soon as I leave England has temperatures of 25!! Typical!

Oli and I spent some time at the beach at the Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) complex yesterday afternoon enjoying the sun. Apparently the jelly fish flag was flying the day before so we didn't go swimming that day! The PDO complex also has a gym, tennis courts, a couple of cafes/bars and a place to rent canoes and offers fitness classes so it is a great place to go to keep fit/relax. However at the moment I only have a temporary membership. I saw a green parrot today but couldn't take a photo so here's a link to one instead > Green Parrot.

I've not been feeling too homesick yet, probably due to only being here 5/6 days! Jasper (my dog) is keeping me company beside my bed in photographic form and facebook certainly helps with keeping an eye on things back home.

Speak soon, 
xXx

5 comments:

  1. ...Have just found out that we are now moving to a villa that Oli's parents were originally going to have. Four bedrooms and roof garden :-)located in Al Azaiba which isn't perhaps my favourite part of Muscat but it is ok and the villa is new and a great size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, A brilliant blog. Will be following your arabian adventure with Interest.

    love Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the blog hun, nice to hear everything is going well for you...you've definately got your head screwed on jobwise! Hope you two have a lovely Easter. Lots of love, Jay & Luke xx p.s. the green parrot is infact a green parakeet, same as that colony up in London :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jay (& Luke!) Hope you are both well...Oli and I have been having a nice easter although it doesn't really feel like easter here! x p.s. I wasn't certain if it was a parrot or not so thanks for the info! :p x lots of love x

    ReplyDelete

© My Arabian Adventure, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena